Sunday, September 10, 2006

Are We There Yet?














The commercials on TV give the false impression that, if I spend lots of money on a new car, I will soon be happily speeding through deserted streets or zooming along leaf covered solitary roads.
Deserted streets; solitary roads?
NOT!
Most of the time, around here, both new and old car owners find themselves sitting side by side in traffic going NO miles per hour. Doesn't matter how much the car cost; doesn't matter how fast the car is supposed to go. All makes and models idle together equally in stuckness.
Yep. Many of us, who travel to and from work in northern Virginia, spend about 3 or 4 (or more) hours a day sitting in traffic on I-95.
It's downright claustrophobic.
There have been a few times that I just wanted to jump out of my car and run away from it all. I don't know where I would go exactly, but at least I would be going.
I often wonder if the others around me are feeling as desperate and trapped as I am. The person in the car next to me has not moved in over 15 minutes. He's leaning forward with both hands on the steering wheel, his eyes focused straight ahead. Maybe he's pretending he's really driving, or maybe he's so stiff he can't move anymore.
I'm not sure.
With nothing left to do, my mind starts looking inside itself for ways to escape--wandering backwards in time through old memories.
Ah yes. Things were different way back then.
Or...
maybe things were kind of the same.
Years ago, when I used to sit in my deluxe dishpan "hot-tub", I wasn't going anywhere either.
But I didn't mind.
I was just enjoying the time that I had.
Looks like I have forgotten how to do that.
Hmmmm..
Or maybe I just want to choose when and where I am stuck.
Bottom line is: I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like the amount of time that I am spending in my car.
One way or the other, I have to make some changes.
Maybe that's why I'm not there yet.

1 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your dishpan hot tub is deluxe because they used to stick us in yellow plastic pails in the later years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home